Thursday, June 22, 2017

Introduction: Rachel Fellman, Student Assistant

The author, about to admire a HIPAA-compliant page of a 1930s obstetrics ledger.
Hi, everybody – I’m Rachel Fellman, the archives student assistant who’s replacing Rachel Blume. (New year, new Rachel.) I’ve actually been here since September, digitizing public health records on our LSTA grant project, but now I’ve moved across the room to processing and various other activities.

I’m a Master’s of Library Science student at Emporia State University. This is a hybrid distance program; the school’s in Kansas, but we take our classes in Portland and online. In addition to my work here at OHSU, I’m a reference intern at Clark College in Vancouver and do access services at the University of Oregon campus downtown. There aren’t many types of librarianship that I’m not interested in, but I especially enjoy academic work and archives.

Before I started my MLS, I earned my master’s degree in English from UO and my bachelor’s from Scripps College. Outside of work, I volunteer at a suicide hotline and write science fiction and fantasy. I’m looking forward to sharing the bizarre, intriguing, and inspiring contents of the OHSU archives here on the blog.

No comments: