Thursday, January 19, 2017

Introduction: Rachel Blume, Student Assistant


Hello fellow readers! My name is Rachel Blume and I am an Archives Student Assistant here at the OHSU Library. Since I’ll be posting now and again (look for me soon!), I wanted to share a little about myself and my experience to give you all some authorial background.

As a Masters of Library & Information Science student at the University of Washington, I have bounced around a lot over the past two and a half years. At various local institutions such as Portland State and Lewis & Clark College, I completed internships in archival processing and library instruction. While I began my current position at OHSU in November (2016), this is not my first post within the OHSU libraries’ Curatorial Services. Last year I worked on the LSTA grant project as a Digital Projects Student Assistant, spending most of my time digitizing public health records. In addition to all this, I am also starting my culminating capstone project, “Preserving the Institutional History of the Oregon Museum of Science & Industry” at OMSI this week.

Before pursuing the Library & Archives profession, I was an undergraduate at Marylhurst University where I received my BA degree in English Literature & Digital Humanities. There I spent much of my time doing literary analysis using digital tools and participating in open access publishing. When I am not working, I enjoy spending time with my family, especially my son (6) and my daughter (4). We enjoy hiking, camping, and anything to do with the beach!

As a Student Assistant here in the archives, I look forward to soaking up all I can before graduating in the Spring through both my duties and the mentorship of my coworkers.

No comments: