Friday, December 11, 2015

A Musical Medical School

A brief respite, dear Reader, from my regular onslaught of new accessions.  Today I am discussing the side-line research I've been doing for a number of months into an aspect of the medical school we do not often hear about: the student musical group.

When I was a student worker here I was always interested in the Forcep Four, a barbershop quartet that was active from the mid-1950s to the early1960s with several groups containing different members claiming the name during that period.  I was recently sent a copy of the Forcep Four's last recording in 1962, which can be heard here:

https://echo360ess.ohsu.edu:8443/ess/echo/presentation/916482ca-693c-4d22-b3c6-6ccb14446cd7


More recently, I sent out a call for information on the Four Fossae, a group active between 1979 and 1982 containing all members of the School of Medicine, 1982 class.  The Four Fossae participated in the All-Hill Talent Show for three years in a row and was known to practice in the concrete stairwell in the Basic Sciences Building.  The 1982 yearbook contains lyrics to one of their songs as well as group photographs of the Fossae performing.

Our Historical Image Collection contains a wealth of images of the first Forcep Four practicing and performing, as well as images of the late 50s early-60s Forcep Four (the one whose recording is above).

Since one of my passions is music, I will looking/searching for more bands, groups and acts from the history of OHSU and hopefully I'll be able to provide audio and video too if possible.  If you have information on any of the groups (or if you were in one) and want to send me details, recordings, etc. please contact:  johnsmax@ohsu.edu

All the best,
Max

No comments: