Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Greetings from your new Public Services Coordinator!

Hello HC&A friends and colleagues! Now that I’ve officially passed the two week mark as public services coordinator, I thought I would take a moment to introduce myself.

I am so fortunate to have found my professional home in OHSU Historical Collections & Archives, engaging in the aspect of archival work about which I’m most passionate, outreach and public services. I have the great advantage of arriving at HC&A with professional experience in a very public-facing department, at PSU Library’s Special Collections & University Archives. As an archives staff member, my most fulfilling work has always involved connecting people with materials that informed their research, strengthened their sense of community and captured their historical imaginations. Whether guiding a class of students through their first experience with primary source research, presenting a researcher with an entire box of new evidence for their research, or helping a community member locate a beloved relative in a club photograph, I think we are at our best when we are sharing the value and richness of archival collections with others.

In just a few short weeks, it’s already been a great experience diving into the HC&A public services stream and helping people to connect with our materials. I’m looking forward to sharing with you the many projects we have in store that will increase our engagement with the wider OHSU, academic and local communities. Stay tuned!

On any given weekend, you might catch me cheering on the Blazers (in lieu of my late, great hometown team, the Seattle SuperSonics), catching up on my endless Russian literature reading list, or doing my best/worst Katy Perry rendition at one of Portland’s fine karaoke venues. I'm also always on the hunt for hot tips on great public history-centered day trips around Oregon.

For reference questions, research appointments or just to chat about our programs or exhibits, I’m your go-to gal in OHSU HC&A! I can be reached via email (langform [at] ohsu [dot] com), phone (503-494-5587), or you can visit me during our walk-in hours in the History of Medicine room, 12pm - 3pm on Thursday afternoons.

No comments: