Digital Project Student Assistant, OHSU Historical Collections & Archives
The Oregon Health & Science University Library in Portland, Oregon, is seeking two student assistants to support a grant-funded project in OHSU Historical Collections & Archives (HC&A). The grant project is active through June 2014, with the possibility of extension. This position will provide valuable experience to a student interested in a career in archives or digital collections.
• Assist with processing and digitizing collection for grant-funded project.
• Support reference and research activities; conduct research relevant to collections
• Shelve and shift materials in HC&A collections; perform basic preservation tasks
- Required: Enrollment in an undergraduate or graduate program at least half-time
- Required: Attention to detail combined with ability to balance multiple responsibilities
- Required: Strong experience using desktop PCs and Windows 2000/XP, including word processing and Internet/WWW
- Required: Excellent oral and written communication skills; tact and discretion in communication
· Required: Ability to repeatedly lift and move objects weighing 20-50 lbs.; pushing and maneuvering loaded book trucks; bending and stooping
· Required: Ability to handle rare and fragile library materials
- Strongly Preferred: Demonstrated interest in archives and/or special collections
- Strongly Preferred: Previous library work experience
- Strongly Preferred: Experience with scanning equipment and software
- Preferred: Enrollment in MLS or library technician program
- Preferred: Undergraduate or graduate training in history or a related field
Head, Historical Collections & Archives
20 hours per week during normal business hours (Monday through Friday), specific hours and days to be arranged. A small number of weekend meetings and training sessions may be required.
$9.50/hour to start.
- Fill out an online application at http://www.ohsu.edu/hr/application_process.html Search for IRC41204 to find the job listing.
Duration of this appointment and indicated salary may be changed or eliminated if gift, grant, or contract funds supporting this position become unavailable.