C.S. "Sam" Jackson was a Portland newspaper publisher. In 1917, he donated 88 acres of land on Marquam Hill to the University of Oregon Medical School. That land is now the OHSU main campus.
Emma Jones, R.N. was superintendent of Multnomah County Hospital, and oversaw its transition to Marquam Hill, where it became part of the medical school. Emma Jones Hall, originally a nurses' dormitory, is named after her.
J. Englebert Dunphy, M.D. was the Kenneth H.A. Mackenzie Professor of Surgery and chairman of the Department of Surgery from 1959-1964. A talented administrator and one of the most-honored surgeons of the 20th century, he led the department to new prominence, then went on to do the same at Stanford.