Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Warm fuzzies

Today ranks among the most satisfying I've experienced since I began my job in November.

When I got to my office, I had a voicemail from an extremely busy university administrator who had noticed some antique medical equipment on campus that was in danger of being junked. Though it would have been easier to just send it off to the dumpster, instead he thought of us and set aside time for me to see if the equipment is a good fit for our museum collection.

Later this morning, a longtime friend of HC&A surprised me and Karen with tickets to an anniversary dinner hosted by a local physicians' group. Then a few hours later, I received a letter from another researcher and friend who is in poor health; his letter was a reflection on the role that libraries and librarians had played in his family's life. I am overwhelmed by the thoughtfulness of these two gentlemen.

Then later this afternoon, we hosted a meeting of the Portland Area Archivists, a vibrant and close-knit group that have impressed me ever since I attended the 2010 Archives Crawl. It was such a pleasure to meet everyone, show off our collections, and talk some shop.

Midway through the day, Max brought over a package that I suspect contains two fabulous new additions to our rare books collection. I'm going to open it now to celebrate the end of a great day.

1 comment:

Mary Hansen said...

It was great fun to learn more about your collections and all of the amazing work you both do!

Thanks!