Wednesday, February 09, 2011

Archival books

Yesterday I had a fascinating visit with a rare book dealer. As we were talking about subject areas that I was interested in developing, he commented that we probably already had everything that was out there on medicine in the Pacific Northwest. I told him that, in fact, there's a lot more out there that we don't have, and pointed to faculty publications as one area that I was interested in.

While a book's association with OHSU does not automatically make it a "rare book," it is archival as as primary evidence of the development of medical practice in the Northwest. Recent donations have brought in what I'd describe as "archival books" by OHSU-associated authors including Olof Larsell, Edwin E. Osgood, and Robert S. Dow. While some of these were already in the library's general collections, donations brought us well-preserved and lovingly cared-for copy, unblemished by library spine labels and stamps.

No comments: