Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Bonjour. Hello. Hola. Aloha.

Just like Sara mentioned yesterday here I am, the "lovely and capable" Emily Ford. I won't out-rightly contest her claims about me, but I will say this: I'm not new to blogging, and I'm not new to historical and special collections, but I am new to this blog and to these historical collections and archives. I hope that over the next few months I'll be able to share my insights into our collections and work with you.

More information here.
One of the things I love about living in the digital age is making connections between resources in our communities. Perhaps one of my favorite connections is browsing through the OHSU Historical Collections & Archives Collection on the OHSU Digital Resources Library. It contains entertaining nuggets like this image of a female student holding a skeleton on her lap.

One of my other favorite ways to explore historical collections is to find connections from what happened "on this day." According to the New York Times, September 1st marked the beginning of WWII in 1939 (and the day that Bobby Fisher won the international chess crown in 1972), among other events.
More information here

So what was happening at OHSU during WWII? Well, a quick search in the Digital Resources Library, finds numerous images, but this one struck me more than the others. Drill practice! Can you name the buildings in the picture?

I'll be back next week, faithful readers, with more of my impressions of OHSU history, and the materials we have. I regret that I may not be able to bring to you daily what Sara was able, but I'll try my best to give you nuggets a few times a week. And of course, Karen will continue with her in depth historical views this Friday.

No comments: