In honor of the upcoming centennial of the OHSU School of Nursing, we offer this image celebrating the library services available to the school.
A note on the back indicates that this photograph was taken in June of 1962, with alumnae Charlotte Scrogin (class of 1951), Joanna DeMeyer (class of 1953), and Jean Bates (class of 1959, M.S. 1971). In the 1962 school catalog, we see that DeMeyer was assistant professor of medical-surgical nursing and Bates was an instructor in operating room nursing. That same catalog notes that:
The library for the School of Nursing is a part of the Library of the University of Oregon Medical School. The library collection includes 80,000 volumes of books and bound periodicals and a large number of unbound periodicals. Approximately 1,432 current periodicals are received. Through the privileges of interlibrary loan and microfilm service, it is possible to procure, within a few days, material not in this collection.In Barbara Gaines' A history of the school, 1910-1996, 1964 graduate Marcella Cate is quoted as saying (p.81):
The teachers were good. The library excellent; and there was an expectation that you would go on [to graduate education].As the School of Nursing has grown, so has the library! We now hold 272, 853 total volumes and 12,888 journal subscriptions.