Today, we received twenty-two boxes and several large, loose pieces from the OHSU Casey Eye Institute, which has been the home of the Dept. of Ophthalmology since 1991. The department, which began in 1945 with the arrival of Kenneth C. Swan, M.D., runs the ophthalmological training programs, provides eye care to adults and children (in the Elks Children's Eye Clinic), and conducts cutting-edge research.
The transfer contains records, books, artifacts, photographs, videos, framed certificates, architectural plans, and wall plaques. The materials cover the period of the 1950s to the present, and include records of the Oregon Ophthalmological Alumni Association, the construction of the Casey Eye Institute building, and the development of the Elks Eye Clinic, as well as other topics. This collection is complemented by the Kenneth Carl Swan Papers (Accession 2007-011), which contains forty-three linear feet of original research, correspondence, photographs, and artifacts belonging to the thirty-three year chairman of the department.
The largest piece of equipment to come with the CEI transfer was, in fact, Dr. Swan's mounted binocular ophthalmoscope, which he is shown using in this photograph (which was pinned under the machine. Dirtied, bent, and wet from today's rain. But we're taking care of it now.) You can read some of the research conducted by Swan, and fellow University of Oregon Medical School faculty member John Raaf, online here (Trans Am Ophthalmol Soc. 1951; 49: 435–444).