[Stories From the Clippings is on hiatus until further notice.]
A collection of miscellany that continues to delight and bedevil us processors did this morning yield up an image of the Portland Surgical Hospital. On the back is written: "The original house at 19th & Lovejoy became the Portland Surgical Hospital in 1915. The garage (stable) in the rear was used as a surgery."
From Robins, we learn that the hospital underwent about as many name changes as OHSU, beginning with North Pacific Sanitarium, continuing with Portland Surgical, Coffey Clinic and Hospital, and Coffey Memorial Hospital, and ending with Physicians and Surgeons Hospital. It first opened in 1900 at 20th and Glisan streets, in a building formerly used by Henry Coe for treatment of mental diseases, and was where Coffey conducted surgeries, particularly surgical gynecology. In 1901, it became the North Pacific Sanitarium, which closed in 1910.
In 1915, Coffey relocated his hospital to the former site of the Portland General Hospital at 19th and Lovejoy streets, and expanded it in 1926. When Coffey died in 1933, his son took over administration and made the facility into a general hospital, adding "memorial" to the name.
In 1945, the facility was purchased by a group of doctors who created the non-profit Physicians and Surgeons Hospital. It remained open until 1985 when it merged with Holladay Park Hospital.