In celebration of the 200th birthday of Oliver Wendell Holmes, Sr., (belated: we slept in on August 29), we offer this piece of Holmesiana (and Osleriana and Cushingana) from the OHSU History of Medicine Collection.
The provenance note reads: "From the library of O.W.H. and given H.K. Cushing by Dr. Wm. Osler, and by H.K.C. to Mrs. W.E. Cushing June 8th 1907." Henry Kirke Cushing was the son of legendary surgeon Harvey Cushing. The item was likely given next to J.F. Ortschild, who studied with Cushing at the Peter Bent Brigham Hospital before coming to Oregon. Ortschild apparently never practiced in Portland because of poor health, but he was a very strong supporter of the library at the University of Oregon Medical School and donated many of the classics now in the collection here. Upon his death, his sister Viola donated the remainder of his library.
For further reflections on Holmes, check out "Dr. Holmes at 200 — The Spirit of Skepticism" by C.S. Bryan and S.H. Podolsky in the August 27 issue of the New England Journal of Medicine.