Monday, September 28, 2009
Harold Noyes and friends
One of the many pleasant outcomes from this weekend's open house for alumni of the OHSU School of Dentistry was--just as we had hoped--the identification of unnamed persons in some of the photographs from the Historical Image Collection. The dentist providing gentle care to two young girls in this image was identified as former Dean Harold J. Noyes, D.D.S., M.D. This represents the first known print photograph of Noyes in our collection (that tells you how far we have yet to go in capturing dental history!)
Noyes (1898-1969) became the first dean of the University of Oregon Dental School after it joined the Oregon State System of Higher Education, serving from 1946 to 1967. He was also former chair of the Division of Dental and Oral Medicine at the University of Oregon Medical School. Noyes was instrumental in planning the Marquam Hill facility into which the dental school relocated in 1956.
Born in 1898 in Chicago, he received his BS and DDS from the University of Illinois College of Dentistry (1928), his MD from Rush Medical College (1933), and his PhD from the University of Chicago (1923). During his lifetime, he and his father, Frederick B. Noyes, were considered two of the nation's top orthodontists. Among his many honors, Noyes served as president of the American College of Dentists and the American Association of Dental Schools; was a member of the board of the American Fund for Dental Education and Omicron Kappa Epsilon; and was past editor of Angle Orthodontist.
And a news clipping from the Biographical File, published in the Oregonian on Dec. 11, 1945, gives us the random fact that Noyes came to Oregon with a starting salary of $8500. One wonders what the average salary for a dentist in private practice was in 1945....