As previously mentioned, Historical Collections & Archives here at OHSU has become the repository for materials--both print and electronic--collected as part of the ongoing history of medicine in Oregon project (sponsored by the Oregon Medical Education Foundation, with support from the Oregon Medical Association, The Foundation for Medical Excellence, OHSU and the Oregon Historical Society).
Today, we were providing some background data for the final funding proposal for this project, and the complete list of persons interviewed is quite impressive. While we don't yet have all the materials, transcripts and/or video of many of these interviews are now available by contacting us here in HC&A:
(* indicates completed interviews)
*Gorham (“Gory”) Babson, M.D. (b.1912) – Unique pediatrician who created the complex OHSU premature infant care unit. Conceived and developed the (Army Reserve) helicopter service for transporting premature infants. 1937 graduate of UOMS; joined the Medical School faculty in 1960. In 2003, Babson received the American Academy of Pediatrics Perinatal Pioneer Award, for “seminal contributions to the understanding of growth and nutrition of the newborn.”
*Robert L. Bacon, Ph.D. (b.1918) – OHSU professor of anatomy and physiology. Educated at Hamilton College (BA 1940), Yale University (PhD 1944). Joined OHSU faculty in 1955, and retired as Emeritus Professor in 1988. Instrumental in establishing Oregon Organ Donor Program. Became very interested in whale ecology, and is active in whale watching and conservation efforts on the Oregon coast.
*Rodney Beals, M.D. (1931-2008) – A fifth-generation Oregonian, Rod Beals was born in Portland in 1931, the second of three sons to Maple and Oliver Beals. Early years were spent in Grants Pass and on the family farm in Canby. Rod graduated from Salem High School and Willamette University where he was a four-year letterman in track, active in student government, and president of his fraternity. He graduated from the University of Oregon Medical School in 1956. He completed a residency in orthopedic surgery and was appointed to the faculty of the University of Oregon Medical School in 1961 where he rose to the rank of professor. He was appointed head of the Division of Orthopedics and Rehabilitation in 1981, and served in that capacity until 1994. He remained an active member of the Oregon Health Sciences University orthopedic faculty until the time of his death. He received numerous professional honors, including the American British Canadian Traveling Fellowship for orthopedic scholars, published over 150 original scientific articles, defined several genetic syndromes with skeletal features, and was widely recognized as an expert in multiple disciplines within clinical orthopedics.
*John A. Benson Jr, M.D. (b.1921) - A graduate of Harvard Medical School and residency and fellowship training at the Brigham, MGH, and the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Benson became Professor of Medicine and head of Division of Gastroenterology at OHSU. He is a nationally recognized leader in academic medicine and professional organizations. His articulate and easy-going manner coupled with his vast experience make Dr. Benson an ideal candidate for this project.
* E.B. Bossatti, M.D. (1904 - 2004) – Family practitioner from Dallas, Oregon. Born in Portland and educated at UOMS (MD 1930). Interned at Multnomah County Hospital in Portland before moving to Dallas, OR, in 1932. Retired from private practice in 1978. Served as Polk County Health Officer for 33 years.
*William J. Brady, M.D. (b.1932) - Dr. Brady graduated from University of Oregon Medical School in 1958. His internship was at D.C. General Hospital and his residency at Deacons Hospital in Boston from 1959-1961. The following two years were spent in a residency in pathology at Harvard Medical School. He worked as a forensic pathologist in New York, NY from 1963 to 1964. In 1958 he set up the first state medical examiner system west of the Mississippi. He served as Medical Examiner for Oregon for 16 years. Dr. Brady is author of the book, Medical Investigation of Death in Oregon, a guide to medical investigation.
*John R. “Jack” Campbell, M.D. (b. 1932) - A native of Kansas, Dr. Campbell attended the University of Kansas (B.A., 1954) and University of Kansas School of Medicine (M.D., 1958). He took a rotating internship at University of Pennsylvania Hospital (1958-59), surgical residencies at University of Kansas Medical Center (1959-63) and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (1965-67), and a Cancer Control Senior Clinical Traineeship under C. Everett Koop, also at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (1965-67). Campbell was an instructor at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine before joining University of Oregon Medical School as Chief of Pediatric Surgery in 1967. He served as Acting Chair, OHSU Dept. of Surgery (1984-86) and as Vice Chair (1986-95). Campbell was the first Surgeon-in-Chief of the new Doernbecher Children’s Hospital, 1998-1999. He retired from OHSU in 2000.
*Laurel G. Case, M.D. (b.1921) – Dr. Case received his M.D. from the University of Kansas in 1949. In 1969, Dr. Case was appointed the first chair of the new Dept. of Family Medicine at the University of Oregon Medical School (UOMS). Under his direction, the department began a residency program; the first residents entered the program in 1971 and the University’s family practice residency served as the State’s only residency in the field until 1994. He served as a member of the Advisory Council established to assist in the formation of the University of Oregon Health Sciences Center, which incorporated the schools of medicine, nursing, and dentistry into one university. Dr. Case was also the first medical director of the Physician Evaluation, Education, & Renewal Program of the OMA.
*Thomas E. Cooney, J.D. (b.1931) - Mr. Cooney was born in Portland, Oregon, and admitted to the bar in 1956. He received the American Board of Trial Lawyers Distinguished Trial Lawyer of the Year in 1996 and Multnomah Bar Professionalism Award in 1996. He is a member of multiple legal boards and associations, primarily those of the defense bar. Tom Cooney has been general counsel to the Oregon Medical Association since 1972. His tenure included the legislature addressing liability crises of 1975 and 1985 and many other medical-legal issues. He approaches these issues with experience, knowledge and, quite often, humor.
*Ralph Crawshaw, M.D. (b.1921) – A physician with deep interests in medicine, the environment, health delivery services, teaching, and patient care. A private practitioner in psychiatry, Dr. Crawshaw is also a clinical professor of psychiatry and public health at OHSU. A leader in organized medicine in Oregon and throughout the United States. An excellent writer, he is also a deeply intelligent, persuasive physician with wide interests in community health and provision of care. In 1982, he founded the nonprofit Oregon Health Decisions, a citizens’ network for airing ethical issues. Serves as a Senior Scholar at the OHSU Center for Ethics in Health Care.
* Robert L. Dernedde (b.1939) – A native of California, Mr. Dernedde graduated from San Jose State College in 1964. Prior to joining the OMA, Mr. Dernedde was director of public relations for the Lloyd Center, the nation’s first shopping mall. He became Executive Director of the Oregon Medical Association in 1967 and served until his retirement in 2004.
*Lowell Euhus, M.D. (b.1943) - Dr. Euhus was born in Enterprise, Oregon. He graduated from Oregon State University in 1964 and from OHSU in 1968. He interned at San Bernadino County Hospital in California then went into the navy where he was medical officer at the Navy Hospital in Yokosuka, Japan. He entered Family Practice in 1972. He was named Wallowa County Health Officer. He was active in the OHSU Rural Residency Program, and in 1990 was named “Oregon Outstanding Rural Provider” by the Oregon Primary Care Association. In 1994 Dr. Euhus was named “Oregon Family doctor of the Year” by the Oregon Academy of Family Physicians. He was active with the Wallowa Valley Health Care Foundation; they provided a house for Family Practice residents in 2-month rotations there.
*Peter A. Goodwin, M.D. (b.1928) – A native of South Africa, Dr. Goodwin received his medical degree from the University of Cape Town in 1951. Goodwin fled the country with his wife and children in 1962, coming to the U.S. after witnessing the Sharpeville Massacre and the rise of the National Party. He joined a private practice in Camas, WA, and stayed there for several years before joining the OHSU Dept. of Family Medicine full time in 1980. A passionate proponent of what he calls "physician-aided dying," Goodwin has championed the right of the terminally ill to control the time and place of death.
Charles M. Grossmann, M.D. (b.1914) – Born and raised in New York City, Dr. Grossman received his medical degree from New York University College of Medicine in 1941. As a resident at Yale-New Haven Hospital in 1942, he participated in the first clinical use of penicillin in the United States. Grossman came West after graduation to provide healthcare to workers in the Kaiser shipyards in Vancouver, WA. A longtime private practitioner in Portland, Grossman retired in 2008 at the age of 94.
*Hon. Mark O. Hatfield (b. 1922) graduated from Willamette University in 1943 and completed graduate degree at Stanford University in 1948. He served as Professor, then Dean of Students at Willamette University. He was elected State Representative, Senator, Secretary of State, and Governor. He was US Senator for Oregon from 1967 to 1997 and was a member, then Chairman of the Committee on Appropriations, which was important to OHSU and health concerns in Oregon. He now teaches at several Oregon universities.
*Tyra T. Hutchens, M.D. (b.1921) – Born and raised in Newberg, OR, Dr. Hutchens received his B.A. from the University of Oregon and his medical degree from the University of Oregon Medical School in 1945. After an internship at the Minneapolis General Hospital, he served at the veterans hospital at American Lake. He was awarded an NRC-AEC postdoctoral fellowship to study the use of isotopes in medicine. Joining the UOMS faculty in 1953, Hutchens worked throughout the city, setting up the nuclear medicine labs at Providence and St. Vincent hospitals as well as at the medical school. In 1962, he became chair of the Department of Clinical Pathology at UOMS and served on numerous committees until his retirement in 1987. From 1981-87, Hutchens was chair of the Commission on World Standards, World Association of Societies of Pathology. In 1989, he was elected President of the World Association of Societies of Pathology. In 1995, he was awarded the Georg Charles de Hevesy Nuclear Pioneer Award from the Society of Nuclear Medicine, of which he was a founding member. He is a lifetime member of the American Board of Nuclear Medicine and Past president of the College of American Pathologists.
*Joanne Jene, M.D. – Dr. Jene graduated from UOMS in 1960 and interned at Philadelphia General Hospital. She took her residency in anesthesia at UOMS and has been in private practice in Portland since 1964. She is also a founding member of the Oregon Anesthesiology Group (OAG) and is currently its Business and Legislative Liaison. Dr. Jene is Assistant Professor, Clinical Faculty, Department of Surgery at OHSU. She has been active in the American Society of Anesthesiology, and has held local and national offices (Board of Directors, Past Secretary, District Director). She has been recognized for her service to county and state medical societies, including the OMA 2001 Doctor-Citizen of the year, and the 1999 Distinguished Service Award from the Oregon Society of Anesthesiologists. Dr. Jene was a member of the Oregon Board of Medical Examiners from 1986 to 1994, and served as its chair from 1991 to 1992. She was a member of the Board of Directors of The Foundation for Medical Excellence, 1988 to 1998, and served as president in 1996. Dr. Jene has served on many committees for hospitals, insurance companies, and civic organizations, including her long time service with Project HOPE in developing countries.
*John A. Kitzhaber, M.D. (b.1947) - Dr. Kitzhaber graduated from Dartmouth College in 1969. He received his medical training at the University of Oregon and graduated with his medical degree in 1973. He practiced emergency medicine in Roseburg for 13 years. He serves on the faculty of the Estes Park Institute and has been a clinical professor at Oregon Health Sciences University since 1989. Dr. Kitzhaber was elected governor of Oregon in 1994. He received national attention for authoring the groundbreaking Oregon Health Plan. In 1992 he received the American Medical Association’s Dr. Nathan Davis Award recognizing his outstanding contributions in health care.
*Peter O. Kohler, M.D. (b.1938), Past President, Oregon Health & Sciences University. Dr. Kohler received his undergraduate degree in 1959 from the University of Virginia at Charlottesville and his medical degree from Duke Medical School in 1963. Kohler, a nationally known endocrinologist, served as chief of the Endocrinology Division at Baylor College of Medicine and head of the Endocrinology Service at the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development. He became one of the longest standing presidents at an academic medical center in the United States, having served as OHSU’s leader from 1988-2006. Before joining OHSU, he was dean of the medical school at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio (1986-1988). Dr. Kohler is active in health policy, research and education at the national level and noted for his advocacy for increased access to health care and quality of life for underserved populations. He has chaired the Oregon Health Council and the National Institutes of Health Endocrinology Study Section, was elected to the Institute of Medicine, and recently completed a four year term on the National Advisory Research Resources Council of the NIH.
*Robert Koler, M.D. (b.1924) – Born in Casper, WY, Dr. Koler was a 1947 UOMS graduate and lifetime member of the UOMS/OHSU faculty as an investigative hematologist - molecular biologist - geneticist - clinician. Colleague of Professor Edwin Osgood, perhaps the first full-time clinician-faculty at UOMS. Founder of the Division, later Department of Molecular and Medical Genetics. Current President of SOM Alumni Association and Associate Vice President Emeritus. Since 1978, he has served on the Board of the Research Foundation of Oregon and headed its education and research committee from 1980 to1988.
*Marion L. Krippaehne, M.D. (b.1923) - Dr. Krippaehne graduated from the University
of Oregon Medical School in 1948 and completed an internship at Emanuel Hospital in 1949. She did a residency in Internal Medicine at Emanuel the following year, and then did a residency in Hematology at UOMS from 1950 to 1951. She had a fellowship at UOMS for the following three years, and then has been involved in University of Oregon Hospitals and Clinics since 1954.
*Jim Kronenberg (b. – Associate Executive Director of the Oregon Medical Association for nearly four decades, Jim ran the quality assurance programs, circuit educational programs, and public affairs function. In these capacities, Jim has been to all corners of the state and knows most of the OMA membership during his tenure with the organization. Few people in the health care industry know more about the people and events that have shaped medical care in Oregon for the past half-century.
*Daniel Labby, M.D. (b.1914) – Native son and UOMS graduate. One of the original full-time clinician faculty with interests ranging over a continuing 55-year career from liver disease, alcoholism, marital counseling, to ethical issues. Son-in-law of Lawrence Selling, the last part-time Chairman of the Department of Medicine at the University of Oregon Medical School (its name until the early '70s. Volunteer member of Boards of Portland's major art and music organizations. In 1989, named Senior Scholar at the OHSU Center for Ethics in Health Care, and founded the Senior Clinician Seminars there.
David Lawrence, M.D. (b.1940) – An outstanding medical administrator, Dr. Lawrence was the CEO of Kaiser Permanente throughout the United States. With training in public health from the University of Washington, he was Multnomah County health officer prior to joining Kaiser. He was also on the OHSU faculty in the Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine and developed public health programs for medical students and residents. His national perspective on health care administration is unique.
*Marion T. (Ted) Merrill, M.D. (b.1923) - Dr. Merrill was born in Columbia, Missouri. He graduated from Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1948. His internship and residency in Surgery and Anesthesia were at the Santa Clara County Hospital in San Jose, California. After military service (1951-53) he practiced medicine in Gilroy, California until he moved to John Day, Oregon. Between 1965 and 1970 Dr. Merrill served nine 2-month tours in the Volunteer Physicians for Vietnam Program. Dr. Merrill practiced in Prairie City, Oregon from 1979.
*Thomas L. Miller, M.D. (b.1931) - Dr. Miller entered Family Practice in 1958. He experienced the changes that insurance, Medicare and governmental involvement had brought on. Since 1966 Dr. Miller has been deeply involved in the Association’s effort in malpractice claims review and the education of the medical community in malpractice prevention.
*William Richey Miller, M.D. (b.1917) – Dr. Miller graduated from the University of Oklahoma Medical School in 1942 and interned at Good Samaritan Hospital, Portland, Oregon. After two years of military service he returned to University of Oklahoma for a residency in Internal Medicine. He continued his Residency program under Dr. Holcomb in Portland. Dr. Miller practiced in Eugene from 1949 to 1984. He wrote a book entitled The Long and Lucky Life of Richey.
*Harold Osterud, M.D. (1923 - 2004) – Retired as Chairman of the OHSU Department of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Dr. Osterud’s significant contributions to scientific medicine have been recognized since he received the U.S. Army Bronze Star for outstanding service during the Korean War. His medical leadership has led to outstanding development of public health services in state government and instituting advanced public health training in academic medicine. His reach included worthy contributions to the OMA and the American Association of Public Health. He worked tirelessly writing a history of Oregon medicine.
*Harold Denver Paxton, M.D. (b.1924) – Chief of neurosurgery at OHSU (retired), witnessed first three “blue baby” surgical corrections. Born in Widen, WV, and educated at Princeton, Johns Hopkins (MD 1948), and Washington University in St. Louis. Served in World War II and the Korean War. Completed his residency at Good Samaritan Hospital in Portland and subsequently joined the staff of UOMS in 1956. In 1974, took a 13-month sabbatical to Kenya to establish a neurosurgery training program there. Chair of the OHSU Dept. of Neurosurgery 1966-1987. Beloved by his students, who endowed a $14,000 scholarship in Paxton’s name when he retired.
*Roy A. Payne, M.D. (b.1928) – The son of another Portland physician, Dr. Payne practiced internal medicine in Milwaukie from 1959 to 1993 and pioneered the introduction of geriatric medicine in Oregon. He made outstanding contributions to organized medicine in his role as President of the OMA, 1975-76, founder of organized medicine’s connection to the Oregon legislature, emeritus clinical associate professor of medicine at OHSU, and a broad array of medical associations and political organizations. He remains a vigilant proponent of quality patient care for the elderly.
*Edward Press, M.D. (b.1913) – Born in New York to immigrant parents, Dr. Press became an Oregon State health officer from 1967-1979, his specialty was in pediatrics and public health. An emeritus clinical professor of pediatrics and public health at OHSU, he is respected nationally. Dr. Press was the first in America to develop a poison control center during his work in Chicago. He has participated in numerous national committees and has been widely published on health, safety, crippled children, and chemicals.
*J. Richard Raines, M.D. (1911 – 2006) - Dr. Raines was a 1935 graduate of University of Oklahoma and the University of Oklahoma Medical School, with internship and residency in Cleveland, including the Cleveland Clinic. He served in the Army Medical Corps in the Pacific during WWII, then entered the practice of radiology in Portland in 1948. He was a leader in medical society activities and participated in many cultural activities. He received the “Doctor-Citizen” award in 1974. Dr. Raines experienced the dramatic changes in radiology in the past 50 years.
*Julian S. “Dutch” Reinschmidt, M.D. (b.1925-1998) – Born Oct. 24, 1925, in Pensacola, FL, Dr. Reinschmidt was associate dean emeritus of the School of Medicine at Oregon Health Sciences University and lived in the Portland area the past 27 years. He served in the U.S. Army during World War II. He belonged to many medical organizations and advisory committees at the local, state and national level and served on many medical boards.
*Walter C. Reynolds, M.D. (b.1920) – As an African American in the 1940's and ‘50's, Dr. Reynolds overcame the difficulties associated with racial intolerance in Portland, completed his medical education, and distinguished himself in the practice of medicine and in community service. Dr. Reynolds was born and raised in Portland, Oregon. As the first African American to graduate from UOMS (1949), Dr. Reynolds was mentored by Portland physician Dr. Norval Unthank. He joined the U.S. Army and served in the Philippines in World War II; earned the distinction of “Best Cadet” at Ft. Sam Houston, TX, in 1948. He was named president of the Urban League of Portland in 1959, served as president of the medical staff at Emanuel Hospital, president of the School of Medicine Alumni Association, and worked with the Dean on minority student recruitment. His biography is used to illuminate the racial barriers in medicine in Dr. Leonard Laster’s book, Life After Medical School.
*George Saslow, M.D., Ph.D. (1906-2007) - Dr. Saslow came to Oregon in 1957 as the first full-time academic Professor and Chair of the Department of Psychiatry at OHSU. He retired in 1973, but continues to be an active teacher of psychiatry and remains an active contributing member of the Department of Psychiatry. Dr. Saslow devoted his career to exploring the interface between psychiatry and medicine, to the patient interview and to a pragmatic and practical patient-centered psychiatry. His influence on the direction of psychiatry in Oregon through his many trainees was substantial.
*Ambrose (Bucky) Shields, M.D. (b.1916) – OHSU Professor of Surgery. Educated at University of Kansas (BS 1938 and MD, 1940). Joined the UOMS faculty in 1942. Served 34 months overseas in World War II. Practiced in Portland at the Portland Clinic.
Sister Monica F. Heeran CSJP (b. – A native of Ireland, Sister Monica was a leader in the development of health care facilities in Oregon. The Sacred Heart General Hospital and Medical Center is a major provider in the Eugene area. Sister Monica graduated from its nursing school and became its administrator during the seventies and eighties, then advanced to serve as CEO of Peace Health with hospitals in Alaska, Washington and Oregon. In 1999, she founded the Volunteers in Medicine Clinic, which serves the working poor.
*Albert Starr, M.D. (b.1926) is a world-renowned cardiac surgeon, scientist, inventor, and teacher. He graduated from Columbia College of Physicians and Surgeons (BS 1946, MS 1949) and after his internship with Dr. Alfred Blalock at Johns Hopkins took his residency at Bellevue and Presbyterian hospitals in New York City. He headed up the heart surgery program at UOMS in 1957, and moved to Providence St. Vincent in 1964. Developed and implanted the first artificial mitral heart valve with Lowell Edwards in 1960. Developed a new pacemaker system in 1972. Performed the first heart transplant in Oregon in 1985. He has received multiple honorary degrees and awards.
*Frances Storrs, M.D. (b.1939) - was the first female resident at the University of Oregon Medical School. She is an internationally recognized expert in contact dermatitis and environmental dermatology and was the first female faculty member of the Division at OHSU, retiring as a full professor in 1997. She has been very active in community affairs, served as President of the Portland City Club (ca. 1997), and was awarded the City Club Citizen of the Year in 2001.
*Kenneth Swan, M.D. (1912 – 2007) Dr. Swan was a 1936 graduate of UOMS, then after finishing ophthalmology training returned there in 1945 to establish the first full time ophthalmology department in western US. In 1945, invented the first synthetic tears to treat dry eyes. Began the Elks Children’s Eye Clinic at University Hospital in 1949. In 1953, was awarded the Proctor Medal by the Association for Research in Ophthalmology. First Northwest physician appointed to the American Board of Opthalmology. In 1956, developed a prototype recording ophthalmoscope camera with Dr. Paul Bailey; the prototype was subsequently refined and manufactured by NASA. Developed the technique of “microeye surgery” for glaucoma and cataracts in infants. The Swan Education Center at the Casey Eye Institute represents the crowning achievement in his illustrious career. Dr. Swan died in 2006.
*Augustus (Gus) Tanaka, M.D. (b.1923) – A 1951 graduate of the State University of New York, Downstate Medical School, Gus Tanaka returned to Oregon where he earned his license to practice in 1958. The son of a prominent Portland physician of Japanese ancestry, he was interned after Pearl Harbor with his family, first at the north Portland International Livestock Pavilion, and later at the Minidoka Relocation Camp near Hunt, Idaho. Like many Japanese Americans from the Portland area, he settled in Ontario and opened a practice in general surgery. Dr. Tanaka has served as OMA president, member and chairman of the Board of Medical Examiners, and chairman of the Board of the Oregon Medical Review Organization. His powers of observation and his participation in the affairs of his eastern Oregon communities give him an expertise and historical perspective shared by few from that part of the state.
*William Toffler, M.D. (b.1949) – Dr. Toffler received his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia in 1976. He completed his residency in family medicine at the Medical University of South Carolina in 1979. He then had a private practice in Sweet Home, Oregon. In 1985, he assumed a full time faculty position at OHSU as director of Family Practice Patient Care Services. He serves as director of the education section in Family Medicine. Dr. Toffler has been involved in sports medicine and is a medical activist with strong interests in medical controversies and ethics issues.
*Donald D. Trunkey, M.D. (b.1937) – Trauma surgeon, Portland. A native of Washington State, Dr. Trunkey received his education at Washington State College (B.S., 1959) and University of Washington Medical School (M.D., 1963). He completed rotating internship at University of Oregon Medical School (1963-64), surgical residencies at University of California, San Francisco (1966-1971), and fellowships at National Institutes of Health, University of Texas Trauma Unit, and Southwestern Medical School. Trunkey held faculty positions at University of Texas, Southwestern Medical School, and University of California, San Francisco before joining OHSU in 1986 as Chair of the Department of Surgery. At the time of the interview, Dr. Trunkey was still active as a professor in the Dept. of Surgery, having relinquished the chair in 2001.
*Martha VanderVlugt, MD - Dr. Van der Vlugt was born in Switzerland, and immigrated with her family to Granite City, IL, at the age of six. Five years later, the family relocated to Portland, Oregon, where Martha attended the Kennedy School and Jefferson High before matriculating at Reed College. She joined University of Oregon Medical School in 1932 as assistant in bacteriology, and enrolled as a medical student in 1934. She obtained a B.A. from the University of Oregon (1932), and an M.S. and M.D. from UOMS (1937). Martha married surgeon Gerald van der Vlugt (UOMS Class of 1936) and went into private practice with him in John Day, OR. After his death in 1964, she joined the State Department and spent ten years in Southeast Asia as a foreign service medical officer, including a two-year stint in Saigon during the Vietnam War. Retiring from the State Department in 1973, she joined the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, Office of Retirement Programs, where she reviewed disability and special entitlement claims; while there, she started the journal The Federal Physician. Martha retired in 1992 at the age of 82, and was living in Silver Springs, MD, at the time of her interview.
*Edward Wah, D.M.D. (1932-2008) – A dentist in private practice in Portland for many years, Wah received his D.M.D at the University of Oregon Dental School in 1957. Wah was the great grandnephew of Chinese herbalist Ing “Doc” Hay, who came to John Day, Oregon, in the late 1800s and practiced herbal medicine there with his partner, Lung On, until the mid-1940s. The Kam Wah Chung pharmacy became the center of Chinese culture in Eastern Oregon until it closed in 1952 at the time of Hay’s death. Dr. Wah and his father, mother, and brother lived for one year in the Kam Wah Chung & Company store, now a state museum, and then moved to a nearby home, looking after and eventually caring for Doc Hay in his later years. Dr. Wah’s fascinating observations of Doc Hay’s “pulse diagnosis” and herbal treatments bring depth to this unique era in Oregon medicine.
*Karen Whitaker (Knapp) Raised in Ashland, Oregon, Ms. Whitaker Knapp was educated at Southern Oregon University (with coursework in English literature) and at Portland State University, and received a B.A. degree in psychology and a graduate certificate in public health administration. In 1977, she joined the Multnomah County Health Department to work on an immunization program. From 1979-1990, she served as associate director of public and government affairs at the Oregon Medical Association. Whitaker Knapp joined OHSU as director of the Office of Rural Health in 1990, and was later appointed OHSU Vice Provost for Rural Health. She served as president of the Oregon Public Health Association (1989-90) and the Oregon Rural Health Association (2000-01). Whitaker Knapp retired from OHSU in 2005.