Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Policies, virtual and otherwise

I've been blogging for most of a year now and have not yet publicly stated my policy on comments. Let me do that now, since I had to exercise my right of deletion this morning: if your comment is blatantly commercial and has no bearing on the post to which it is attached, it will be deleted. If your comment is blue, discriminatory, or otherwise offensive, it will be deleted. If your comment contains a link to a site that will infect a user's computer with spyware, adware, or other malicious programming, it will be deleted. Other than that--comment away!

And, since I was asked about this just today: yes, we do have an archival collection development policy, and it's even up on the web! The policy was created several years ago, but still serves us fairly well--it was crafted with a good deal of wiggle room which, as every repository knows, can help justify bringing in marginally related acquisitions or turning down collections for which there simply aren't enough resources. We all hate to turn away donors, but most archives I know lack the necessary funding or staffing to take in everything that is offered. What about collaborative collection development for special collections? I so glad you asked! It looks like something might be brewing on that front here in Oregon, and we're excited about the possibilities. Stay tuned for more information!

No comments: