Well, it's nearly official:
After sixteen years as the OHSU Auditorium, the building we all know (and love) as Old Library has been renamed Old Library Auditorium!
And the local flora is celebrating.
Fun facts about Old Library:
- Building designed by architect Ellis F. Lawrence (also designer of Baird Hall, the TB Hospital/Campus Services Building, Dillehunt Hall, OHSU Hospital South (1953-57 portion only), Outpatient Clinic (original and additions through 1953), the School of Dentistry, and something Facilities refers to as "the Grounds Shop")
- Funding from Dr. John E. Weeks ($100,000), Rockefeller Foundation ($100,000) and WPA ($100,000)
- Building completed in 1939; library moved from third floor of Mackenzie Hall into new space
- Dedicated June 7, 1940
- Portion of collection and majority of staff moved to BICC building in 1991
- Remaining stacks closed to patron access in Sept. 2002
- Currently houses Historical Collections & Archives, books 1985-1994, journals 1955-1991; student locker rooms, SoM classroom space
Additional information on building history, significance, and construction is available online (PDF ; go to p. 157) from the Lawrence Building Inventory in the UO Scholars' Bank.