Friday, August 25, 2006

Technical note

It has come to my attention that, because of the way the site is currently structured, I cannot use a hit-counting program to track usage of this blog. I could probably effect the necessary change, but I got to thinking about it: I don't know about you, dear reader, but I get tired of being tracked. I'm a little tired of cleaning out caches, running SpyBot, updating Norton, dodging malware. It seems to me, now that I think about it, that that's part of the beauty of books, the pleasure of paper--reading can be entirely anonymous. Who knows how many people have actually read Jane Eyre (some say they have to avoid looking unread; others say they haven't to avoid looking overly intellectual). Books don't cache, paper can't pick up your IP address. So, in the spirit of an earlier age, I've decided not to know who comes, who stays, who visits regularly. Read, if you like; post, if you're so inspired; email me separately if you'd prefer your comment to be part of a private conversation. Just read--this or any text; keep thinking, keep learning.

1 comment:

Janet said...

I can show you how to set up a hit counter in the blog if you want. But I understand re: being tired of being tracked. There's no anonymity anymore.